Saturday, September 14, 2013

As Time Goes By

Impossibly, Abigail turned three months old today. She celebrated by throwing a party at 5:30 a.m. I celebrated by desperately trying to get her back to sleep. Guess who won that battle? Do the circles under my eyes give you a hint?
Sleeping Beauty
At three months old, Abby is all smiles. She lights up any time Jacob or I look at her - which is obviously all day long. And when we hear her in the mornings and get out of bed, blurry-eyed and exhausted, we find her waiting for us in her crib, grinning from ear to ear. She's just adorable.

That's my girl! She loves being read to.

Abby is suddenly moving all over the place. A couple of weeks ago I started to notice that the necklines of her pajamas were really stretched out. I couldn't figure out why that would be. Later that day, I put her down on her back on a blanket on the floor (wow...how many time can I say "on" in one sentence? I am so tired.) I went to get something and was gone for probably thirty seconds. When I came back, she was on the carpet. I was totally puzzled. I put her back in the middle of the blanket and watched as scooted herself off the blanket again. It's her new favorite trick, and she does it all the time. I seriously need to start the next phase of apartment baby proofing - about six months earlier than I was expecting!

She also rolls, easily and often, from either her stomach or her back onto her side, but she won't go all the way from tummy to back or back to tummy yet. She just loves to twist back and forth.

And most recently, she spins around. First she rolls onto her side, and then she uses her legs to propel herself around. Last night I put her in her crib with her head on the left and her feet on the right. When I checked on her this morning, her head was in the same place but her feet were on the opposite side! And of course her pajamas were all twisted up.

She was super active in the womb, and it doesn't look like she's going to take a break from that any time soon.

Tummy time is so much easier when you know your bum looks cute.
Happy Crabby Abby

A couple of weeks ago she started showing signs of teething. We had one very exhausting night of her sleeping in thirty minute intervals with lots of screeching in-between. Then things just stopped for a while. We can see and feel that there is at least one tooth on the bottom about to break through, but she's very mellow at the moment. It makes me nervous. I think we're in the calm before the storm.


Those eyes! I melt. And that hair! I giggle.
In the last couple of days she has also become much more aware of her surroundings. I purposefully designed her room with lots of bright colors and lots of fun objects to look at, and she loves looking around at everything in there. I took these pictures the other day while trying to nurse her. Notice how she's paying attention to just about everything except what she's supposed to be doing! (Don't worry, I kept myself very modest.)





And the whole time I tried to burp her...


She's also talking a lot. When she has our attention she gabs on and on - and usually throws some bubbles and drool in for good measure. My favorite is how she talks while eating. She nurses for a while, then stops and makes eye contact with me. "Oooo owowowow pppphhhhhhhh oowa oowa mmmmmm." Then she goes back to eating for about thirty seconds before starting the whole thing again.

Our very own Alfalfa.
I aspire to look like my child, so I dress like her.
I ran a 5K this morning. Abby was exhausted afterwards. And even though this picture looks staged, it isn't. She practices her champion pose in her sleep.
She is so, so fun right now, and I'm so grateful. I think Heavenly Father must have mercifully designed babies to get more interesting as time goes by, or it would be so much more painful watching them grow and remembering how small they used to be.

I remember how easy her photoshoots used to be. I would just stick her in a chair and snap away. When I tried to take pictures today, it was a full thirty minutes of "Oooooo, look what's over there!" and "Whoa! That's a really bright light!" and "Look Mom, I can throw my dress over my head!"

And then she discovered the strap on my camera...


...and the game became, "Look Mom, if I pull hard enough I can make you get really close to me!"


And then things got so funny.



But I got her in the end.


Three months old

No comments:

Post a Comment